Friday 6 March 2015

Ghost on the track
















Ghost on the track is a epic poem by far that alas is incomplete.

I may complete this someday wrote in 2000, and has had bits done
on it ever since in a attempt to write a poetry novel.


(I)

On a deserted railway yard
Between Warwick
And Leamington Spa
I wandered desolate
Through an old graveyard
Until I stopped
Near a boarded up
Old tunnel.

In the graveyard
There had being
Stillness in the air
That was
Un-nerving
As a long pause
For breath
As quietness.

The grass on the floor
Was covered in
Muddy footprints
As was the pavement
Stones
Which gave the impression
Somebody had run
Away too quickly.

But yet in the stillness
There was a delicate beauty
In the quietness
As I wandered
To the remembrance room
Which reminded me
Of one of my friends
Which had died the other year.

James had been a typical
Old school sort of gentleman
Who wouldn’t boo
To a goose
But had
A sense of humor
Beneath his mild manners.


I could remember
Some people
Dismissing him as a country bumpkin
In the way
He would laugh
In such a way
It made him
Sound stupid
But I knew better.

I had seen him
Sit there
And discuss politics
Better than most
Politicians
And then compare
Pints of ale
With the best of them.

I would rather forget
About the way he died.

As I left
The remembrance room
I could see a piece
Of paper
That was covered
In mud
And as I bent down
To pick it up
To bin it,
I saw her.

She was a graceful
Young woman
With a flower in her hair
And a long
Blue dress
Which highlighted
Her dancing even more.

I stood there
For a few moments
And watched her dance
Like she was a ballerina
Straight
Across the flowers
And towards an old tunnel.

I moved forwards
My feet almost
Without a will of their own
And I felt the wind
Try and drag
Me back but I found
Myself
Pushing forward
Literally if they didn’t
Have a mind
Of their own.

The entrance was half boarded up
In rotten wood
Which was covered in garaffi
Which must have being
Written in the 1970’s
And rust covered locks
Which threatened to disintegrate
If you touched them.
But I easily got through that.

Inside the tunnel
I could see
A faint light
Flickering in and out
Of the darkness
On a path between the lines
Which reminded me of a candle
At the end of its wax.

The wind was nagging
In my ear
Like an ex girlfriend
And I found myself imagining
What life would have
Being like an old train carriage
I could see halfway
Blanked layered
Down the tunnel.

Next to the carriage
I could see another
Boarded up door
With the words
‘Keep Out’ missing the K
And much to my surprise
I could not stop myself staring into it. 

‘Stop’
A voice whispered
With a slight echo
In my ear just as I
Was about to
Start thinking about
What I was going
To do next.

‘What?’
I said surprised
Turning round
The hair standing up
On my head
But I couldn’t see anybody,
So I started pulling it down
Automatically.

It had started raining
By that point
And I could hear it
Tapping on the floor
Just outside the tunnel
Like footsteps
Mixed with the wind

Which then pushed me

Onto the floor
With a gust.

‘Run’
A distorted voice
Called out
From the carriage
So distorted
It reminded me of something
Out of a fuzzy tape deck,
And as I
Pulled myself
Back onto my feet
I felt a shiver
Which was more like
A warning
Than an actual shiver.

‘Don’t’
A different voice called out again
The echo shaking
The tunnel
Which
Blinded me
With the
Flash
And made me
Want to hold
My ears in terror. 

And I could
Feel the wind
Spiraling around me
Which pushed
Me straight
Across the wall
Which made
Me cry
Out in mortal agony.

And then I saw her.

I saw her

Standing against the wall
With eyes
That looked like
Fireballs
Which stood out
Curiously against her
Long, curly hair
And blue dress.

‘How dare you?’
She shouted out,
The you
Trailing off
Into the distance
‘How dare you?’

I tried opening
My eyes,
But the light
Dazzled
Me
And nearly
Made me
Want to vomit.

I felt tears
Drip down
My face
Which merged
With the sweat falling
Out of my hair
And eventually I called out
‘I DON’T, I DON’T
UNDERSTAND YOU’

And she stepped
Up to me
Out of nowhere
And brushed
The tears from my eyes
Like a condensing
Parent
And said
‘Now what should
I do with you?’

‘I don’t know
Who you are?’
I answered
Repeating myself
‘I don’t know
Who you are’.

And she reached
Out and
Placed her hand
Around my throat
And I felt
My guts
Sink into my
Stomach
And I heard her laugh
As the wind dropped.

‘Andrew’ I heard
The first voice
Call inside my
Head
And I tried
To answer
But my mouth
Would not
Open
And she
Smashed me
Back across the wall.

I screamed
And she laughed again
‘I defy you,
I defy you’
And smashed
Me against
The wall again
Like a bloody Yo Yo
Before carrying on
‘You have no right,
You have no right’

‘He has every right’
Another voice
Called out
A deeper voice
Which further away
But then I realized
Much to my horror
Was coming out
Of my own mouth.

I saw the shock
In her eye
Which seemed to lose
Some of its cruelty
And she fell
Back to the ground
Before curling
Up
Into a ball.

And I hit the floor
Like a ton
Of bricks.

The next thing
I knew
I woke up
On the ground
With soil
All over my coat
And as I got onto my feet
I also felt
Dirt all over my hair.

It had stopped raining outside.



Ghost on the track

(II)

It had stopped raining outside.

It had stopped raining outside.

It had stopped raining outside.

It had stopped dripping
On the tunnel
With a gentle thud.

It had stopped dripping
On the floor
And the sun was no
Longer
Hiding behind the clouds.

I must have stood there
For a good few minutes
Panting
Like I was a man
At least 20 to 30 years older
Than I was
Before
I had the
Strength
To walk down
The tunnel.

I felt my heart
Go a frantic
Drum beat
And I felt my eyesight
Start going
Blurred
With shades of
Green and grey
Which literally
Made me feel
I was walking
Into a motet painting
And I literally fell
Over the fence.

I don’t know how long
I was unconscious for.
The first thing
I knew was when
I awoke
And
I felt something gentle
Brush up and down
My nose
Which then next
Touched my right ear
Before then
Moving onto
My left ear.

The sensation was
Bizarre
And for the first
Few seconds
I couldn’t work
Out
Where it was coming
From
As it kept reminding
Me of childbirth
In the sense
Of the helplessness
Of the feeling
You could try and
Reach out
But you couldn’t
Reach
Anybody
And then I
Opened my eyes
And I saw
Myself staring
Into the eyes
Of a Old English sheepdog
Who were stood there
Licking my face
Like a kid
In a sweet
Shop.

By the time
I had pulled myself
Back onto my feet
It’s owner,
A middle-aged guy
With a layer
Of red hair
Around his head
Like somebody
Had cut it
With a howl
Onto his head
And a jacket
Which immediately
Reminded me as he
Was a farmer…

Or some kind of landowner
Had reached me.

‘Hang on, old boy’
He said
‘You’ve took a right
whack’
and he caught me
before I fell
back to the ground
with another loud
thud.

‘Bloody hell’
He said to me
With a urgency
In his voice
That bordered
On panic
Rather than
Just urgency
And he propped
Me up back
Onto my feet
So I sat back
Down next to
The lake.

My head was
Spinning
All over the
Place
By this point
Again
And I thought to
Myself
By this point
I had concussion
And as I reached
Down
To steady myself
I felt my left ankle
Go
And I knew then
I had twisted
That also.

But it was then
As I looked down
I saw I was
Wearing black sandals
With dreadful
Multi colored socks
That may have being
Fashionable
Well, fashionable
Maybe once
In the 1960’s
But would have
Looked beyond horrible
Now.

It was then I looked at
My reflection in the lake.

I was still crying
Ten minutes later.

And in the distance,
I could hear laughter.

Something

Inhuman.

Inhuman laughter.

Something that would have
Sent a shiver,
Down my back
If I hadn’t
Been crying like
A
Fool.

Something that
Would have made
Even the bravest
of heroes
curl up into a bowl
but I didn’t listen
if I hadn’t
been crying
like a fool.

Something that would
Have sounded
Surreal
Or simply unbelievable
If I hadn’t
Been crying
Like a fool.

For I didn’t
Recognize who
Was staring
Back at me
In the reflection.


(III)

The laughter
In the background
Built up rapidly
In a handful of seconds
Like somebody
Had
Turned up
The volume
On a stereo system
Without stopping.

The laughter
Leveled the grass
Leaving it shaking
In fear
And shook
The
Windows
In the rememberence room
So hard I thought
They were going
To fall out.

Trees were knocked
Sidewise
Like a insiviable
Gaint
Was storming past
Them
And kicking
Them out of their way.

‘Bloody hell’
The farmer said
Patting his
Dog on his head
As the poor thing
Fell to the ground
Covering it’s ear
In terror.

I tried to get up
Onto my feet
But felt my ankle go
When I tried
To stand up
Like somebody
Had pulled
My ankle
From under
Me.

When I looked
Up
James was stood
There
Chatting to the
Farmer
But a strangely healthy
Looking James
With a tweed jacket
And muddy wellies
That knocked
Off
At least twenty years
Off him.

‘James’
I mouthed shocked
But he looked at
Me
Surprised
As if he didn’t
Have
A clue
What I was
Talking about
And answered
‘I’m sorry,
do I know you?’







No comments:

Post a Comment