Monday 2 March 2015

Night Shift



























Night Shift is the first in a series of short plays originally started around the beginning of 2001, and still ongoing to this day focusing on a un-named prisoner of war camp told in a very Harold Pinter kind of voice - ie very black humored.

There is a number of other pieces in this series alas not complete which i will share in due course, but I hope you like this.

In contrast to some of the other plays mentioned so far, this one is unproduced but I hope it will be someday.

(SETTING: PRISON BLOCK)

(PLACE: UNKNOWN)

(TIME: NOW (OR NOW-ISH)

(SCENCY IS SLIGHT BUT
AS THE PLAY BEGINS
TWO SOLDIERS WALK
FROM THE LEFT OF THE STAGE).

(THE TWO SOLDIERS ARE
SOMEWHERE IN THEIR 30’S
OR 40’S).

(THE FIRST SOLDIER GOES
THROUGH THE FIRST DOOR
AND THEN COMES BACK OUT)

(THE SECOND SOLDIER GOES
THROUGH THE SECOND DOOR
AND COMES BACK OUT)

(THE FIRST SOLDIER STOPS
AT THE THIRD DOOR)

Soldier 1:

Do I have to?

Soldier 2:

It’s your turn.

Soldier 1:

No it isn’t.

Soldier 2:

Yes it is.

Soldier 1:

Like hell, it is.

Soldier 2:

It’s your turn.

Soldier 1:

No, it bloody ain’t.

Soldier 2:

But you swapped with me
On the time before last.

Soldier 1:

No, I didn’t. You’re getting
Me confused over Room 5.

(SOLDIER 1 TURNS
AWAY FROM LOOKING
AT THE DOOR)

Soldier 2:

No I’m not. You
Swapped me with me
The time before last.

Soldier 1:

You told me in
The bar last night
You would go in there tonight.

Soldier 2:

I didn’t say that. You
Agreed that with Bobby.

Soldier 1:

Bobby was on the day shift.
Remember?

(PAUSE)

I agreed it with you.

Soldier 2:

I still ain’t going in there.
He ain’t right. Have you heard
What he did the other night
With his shit?

Soldier 1:

I don’t care. It’s still your
Turn.

Soldier 2:

There is no way I am going
In there.

Soldier 1:

I don’t know what your bloody
Problem is with him. That sod is so
scared off me – he almost lines the
wall with urine in fear when he sees
me walk  through his door with
my stick.

(SOLDIER 2 TURNS HIS BACK)

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

It’s your time. I went in there
Last time.

Soldier 1:

No you didn’t. I walked in
And screamed out ‘don’t
Try it sunshine, don’t even
Bloody think about it as
Otherwise they’ll be picking
Up the remains of your head
From the ceiling for the next
Two weeks’ and I thought
He was gonna burst out laughing
At me. I soon set him
Straight, you know.

Soldier 2:

That was the time before.

(PAUSE)

It’s your turn.

(PAUSE)

Do you think I like going
In there?

(PAUSE)

Did you hear what
He did to Colin the other week?

(PAUSE)

He waited until Colin had put the
tray on the floor and then leaped
On him from the top of his
Bunk.

Soldier 1:

He should have watched his back.

Soldier 2:

It took four of them to
Get us off him.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1:

I don’t care. He should have
Watched his back. If he had made
One wrong move – knocked him
Off that mattress so hard, he wouldn’t
Have being able to go to the toilet
For two days. I don’t care. It’s not my turn. 

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

And I’m telling you we swapped
over the time before last when you
wanted to go and see that little
Blonde in Room 6.

Soldier 1:

That was Paul.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

No, it wasn’t.

Soldier 1:

I’m choosy who I sleep
with and besides which
that dirty sod spent half a hour
at the end of our shift telling me in
graphic detail how she nearly bit it off.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

I hadn’t heard
About that.

Soldier 1:

Well, you didn’t hear
It from me.

Soldier 2:

Sugar. 

Soldier 1:

I am surprised
He didn’t get shot
For that.

Soldier 2:

I don’t think I
want to know any
more about this.

Soldier 1:

You started it all.

Soldier 2:

No, I didn’t.

Soldier 1:

Yes, you bloody did.
No, I didn’t.  We don’t have
the time to stand here all
night to talk about this. We
should have being back on
B Block ten minutes ago. 
We’ll get put on here
tomorrow night  too if
we don’t hurry up..   For god’s
sake just go  in. I’ll go the
next two times  if you’ll simply go in.

(PAUSE)

You know what the Colonel is like.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

I still don’t like it.
He’s too quiet. He could
be waiting round the other
Side of the door.
He could be watching
With a nail..

Soldier 1:

For god’s sake.
Just go in

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1:

If you are that scared
that much I’ll go in
right behind you.
Just bang on the
door and tell him to
stand by the wall
And don’t move until
you hear the shuffle of
his feet brush against
the wall and if he doesn’t move
we’ll go in and beat him
down to the  ground.

(PAUSE)

He won’t look  that much like
a V.I.P. then.

(SOLDIER 1 BANGS ON
THE DOOR)

Soldier 2:

He ain’t moving.

(SOLDIER 2 PUTS HIS
HEAD IN HIS HANDS)

Soldier 1:

For god’s sake.

Soldier 2:

I think he’s dead.

Soldier 1:

He bloody well better be dead.

(SOLDIER 1 THEN BANGS
ON THE DOOR)

Soldier 1: (SHOUTING)

Against the wall..

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1: (under breathe)

For god’s sake.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1:

Against the bloody wall.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1: (SHOUTING)

I ain’t going to ask you
again.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1: (SHOUTING)

Against the wall.

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1:

MOVE.

(BANG FROM THE CELL)

Soldier 1:

About time.

Soldier 2:

For god’s sake, be careful.

Soldier 1:

I don’t believe you
Sometimes.

Soldier 2:

I don’t like it.

Soldier 1:

Do you think I like it?
We’re got another
Twenty sodding cells
To go through

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

I just don’t like the
Fact he is being so
Bloody quiet.

Soldier 1:

Do you think I like
It too?

(PAUSE)

Soldier 1:

We’re got a bloody
Job to do. Do you
Think I like it too?

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

No.

Soldier 1:

Exactly. I hate the way
We have to check
On him every night.
If I had my day, I’ll
Line the lot off them
Against the wall
And well…

(PAUSE)

Soldier 2:

That’s a bit harsh.

Soldier 1: 

I don’t have time
To stand here
And debate politics
With you. We’ve
Got a job to do.

Soldier 2: (mumbles)

I didn’t start bringing
politics into this.

Soldier 1:

That ain’t politics. It’s
A bloody way of life.
Dog eat Dog and only the
Strong shall survive.  SHITS
like this CUNT deserve
everything they have got coming
to them. He chose the wrong
party. He asked for everything
he has got coming to me.

(PAUSE)

I’m going in, bugger it.
If that CUNT gives
Me any grief that god
Help him literally.

(PAUSE)

Cover my back and if
He moves one inch out
Off place, smack him
On the head til he begs
You to stop whether
It’s in English or
FUCKING double dutch.

(SOLDIER 1 GOES
INTO THE CELL.
AFTER A FEW SECONDS
SOLDIER 2 FOLLOWS)

(PAUSE FOR A FEW SECONDS)

(A SCREAM HITS
THE AIR)

(THEY BOTH COME BACK
OUT. SOLDIER 2 IS LOOKING
SHOCKED. SOLDIER 1 IS
GENTLY STROKING HIS
STICK WHICH HAS BLOOD
DRIPPING ON)

Soldier 1:

Right, next cell.
Come on, we haven’t
Got all night.

(FADE TO BLACK)




No comments:

Post a Comment